Guggenheim Venice

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Museum


I know I could probably be a bit more creative with the title, but I intend to write about the museum and I don't want to be a tease.

A month on, I have done a lot, learnt a lot, and not blogged a whole lot. What can I say that you wouldn't assume? The museum is wonderful, the collection is wonderful. It is just a shame that we have so little time to wonder.

Having arrived sans baggage, I luckily didn't have to lose time changing outfits before heading to the museum for training. Alessandro, one of the capi, met me in the ticket office and led me rather unceremoniously straight into one of the galleries and down into the basement. I will pause here, because it was all a bit of a shock. I will explain why:

Entering the palazzo, we breezed past this:


Alexander Calder. Mobile. 1941. This is the stuff of essay footnotes, not what I expect to greet me every morning at my work place. Meanwhile, Alessandro is empathizing about my missing luggage. What missing luggage? What cancelled flights? Is that Picasso's The Poet?

It is one thing to do your research about the Peggy Guggenheim Collection online so that you don't embarrass yourself upon arrival. It is quite another to realize, upon arrival, that all those online images correspond to the actual works that are actually in the building where you will be working. And it is a sad day when you realize that you have been in that museum every day for a month and haven't seen everything. Rather, haven't looked at everything. Properly.



New Years Resolution? Think more.




No comments:

Post a Comment